3 T. oil
1 C. uncooked brown rice
3 C. chicken stock
1 t. salt
1 T. fresh basil or 1/2 t. dried
1 T. fresh marjoram or 1 t. dried
2 t. fresh thyme or 1/4 t. dried
1/2 t. curry powder
- Saute' the uncooked rice and chopped onion in the oil about 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Add chicken stock (Be careful - because the skillet will be very hot it will hiss like crazy, so pour it in a little at a time or you could get burned by the steam - yes, I know this from experience).
- Stir in the seasonings, heat to boiling, turn down and cover so that it can cook slowly.
- It will take 30 - 40 minutes to absorb all the broth. (I can my own chicken broth, so I often just throw a whole quart in - it just takes a little longer to absorb all the liquid and there is usually a little chicken in the jar, too.)
- You can play with this recipe - it's pretty forgiving - like trying other herbs you might like...