I am a follower of I Am Baker and she made this cake for her birthday. I fell in love with it. I have been looking for an excuse to make it and I thought it would be perfect for my parent's 41st Anniversary.
I have also decided to start keeping track of the costs and time involved in baking and decorating a cake. I am almost afraid to do this but I am curious. . .
TIME COMMITTED TO THIS 8" ROSE CAKE
Step 1: Baking the cakes - for this one I simply used box mixes and only made one substitution to make the strawberry flavor; therefore, the cost for the cakes are minimal on this one.
- Mixing cake mix
- Preparing pans
- Washing dishes
Step 2: Checking Oven and Preparing Baked Cakes
- Checking cakes in oven occassionally (5 minutes)
- Removing from oven (these cool only a couple minutes before leveling - HOT!)
- Leveling cakes with Agbay
- Wrapping cakes for freezer
- Placing in freezer
Step 3: Making a NEW Recipe for Whipped Buttercream
- Ingredients out and preparing for recipe (5 minutes)
- Creaming 2 ingredients (8 minutes)
- Whipping next ingredients (10 minutes)
- Combining the 2 batches (10 minutes)
- Clean-up (7 minutes)
Step 4: Preparing and cutting the cake & Frosting the cake)
Time: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: (50 + 32 + 40 + 35) = 2.61 hours
COST FOR THIS CAKE
Cake: (I simply used 2 box mixes and substituted one item to produce a strawberry cake rather than a white cake Very inexpensive compared to my normal cake recipes.) approximately $7.00
Frosting: approximately $7.75
Time: 2.61 Hours x $7.25 (minimum wage) = $18.92
Items not accounted for:
- Electricity for oven, microwave and freezer (oven was run a minimum of 2 hours)
- Cost of pans, Kitchen Aid mixer, multiple baking racks, parchment paper, saran wrap, etc.
- Cake decorating tools: offset spatulas, tips, pastry bags, cake boards, cake plate,etc.
- Dish detergent
If I were to make this cake again. . .
I would need a double batch of the frosting which would add an additional 40 minutes to make the frosting, additional 10 minutes to frost the cake
and ingredients for the frosting
Total Cost would be:
(round up for unaccounted for materials):
And, if I were to use my regular cake recipes
it would probably be $60