Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gluten-Free Hamburger Buns

Snowy Day Recipe #3

Sources:  Gluten Free Homemaker and The Baking Beauties

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup sweet rice flour (I was out so I substituted Sweet Sorghum Flour)
1 cup tapioca starch
1 T. instant yeast
2 t. unflavored gelatin
1 T. Xanthan Gum
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. sugar or honey (I used honey)
1 - 1 1/4 cup warm water
4 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 t. vinegar

Directions:
1.  Mix the wet ingredients together in the bowl of your mixer using 1 cup of the warm water
2.  Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat
for 2 minutes.  Add more water if dough is too dry.  The dough should be very soft and sticky.
3.  Scoop the dough into 8 - 3" disposable aluminum pie pans.  Place the pans on a large backing sheet to make moving easier.
4.  Using greased fingers, smooth the tops of the dough.  Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
5.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Tops should be nicely browned.
6.  Let sit 5 minutes after removing from oven and then remove buns and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
     (You will be able to reuse pie tins)





My Experience:
I did not have the small aluminum tins.  I also saw someone use the Muffin Top pans which I no longer own.  So, I used my Pampered Chef Stone for 4 mini breads.  I had a difficult time get the rolls done.  Just too much dough in each one.  


As far as the taste, it was VERY good.  A bit spongey however much better than the chalk-like texture of all the other breads we have tried.  Lance liked them.  That says a lot since he likes his full-of-gluten bread.


THIS IS A KEEPER!!



No comments:

Post a Comment