Monday, April 9, 2012

Online Photo Editing Options


Up until now, I have been using Picnik.com to edit my pictures - - adding frames, cropping, adding a matte, fixing the color, adding a text.  The yearly cost was only $24.95.  It was affordable and user-friendly.

Sadly, Picnik.com is closing April 19, 2012.  The designers are closing to work with Google+.

As I have been mourning this upcoming event, I have also been on the search for new online photo editing sites.  Here's a few to try out:

  • Here's my current favorite:  iPiccy.  Free!  It is still in Beta mode but it is nearly identical to Picnik with just a different look.  Registration not required.
  • BeFunky:  Transform pictures into works of art with Photo Effects, Editing, Frames, etc.  Free and registration not required.
  • PicMonkey:  Free for NOW.  No registration needed.  I have used this one and like it okay.  They are still working on collages and expanding what they offer.  If you are looking for basic photo editing, you might like this one.  (After doing some research, ex-Picniker's are working on this program - woo hoo!)
  • Aviary:  working in partnership Flickr; brings expected features like cropping, rotating, sharpening, red-eye reduction and cosmetic whitening, just to mention a few of its capabilities.  
  • Splashup:  formerly known as Fauxto; looks like and works a lot like Photoshop but only contains the basics of Photoshop so it might work well for the novice user
  • Creative Kit in Google+:  this one seems confusing to me but I might give it a whirl when I have some extra time.  In most of my research, people are not real happy with this program.
  • And the last one I will discuss, PiZap:  Free and no registration required.  They appear to have frames and collages (yeah!).  You can also make Facebook covers for the new timeline theme facebook is using.  I haven't played with this one yet, but I just might have to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment