But, as my 40th birthday creeps upon me, one thing that I have wanted to do for awhile is complete a 5K. I did NOT say RUN the entire thing - - but that would be nice.
Well, I have decided to enter a 5K event (notice I did not say the "R" word - "race"). So, I am getting myself prepared to begin training. The event I plan to enter is at the end of July. That will give me about 3 months to prepare. Also, it will occur 5 days after my birthday which seems to fit.
Preparing for Training:
Armband for my Ipod Touch -
I have been searching and searching both in retail stores and online. Finally, I made myself sit down and do a serious search. I came across a forum that highly spoke about this little gem.
You can find this armband at www.armpocket.com. I also found a Twitter post for a $5.00 discount if you purchased a Pink Armband (which is the color I wanted anyway) by entering DONNA11. With the discount applied and shipping/handling (Priority Mail) my total was $30.40. First class mail would have been quite a bit cheaper.
Couch to 5K App for Ipod Touch -
Okay, I know nothing about training so I purchased an App for my Ipod Touch, C25K. I purchased from itunes.com for $2.99.
This program has you alternating between walking and running. It takes 9 weeks to complete with 3 workouts 3 days per week. You are able to listen to your own playlist and works with Nike+.
Couch to 5K Music Playlist from itunes.com -
I will DEFINTELY need some upbeat music for this journey so I download the following songs for this adventure (thanks to suggestions on The Diaper Diaries blog):
- "Dead Man" (Carry Me) by Jars of Clay
- "I Am Free" by Newsboys
- "Loser Like Me" by Glee Cast
- "Hold Me" by Jamie Grace
- "Get Back Up" by TobyMac
- "Tonight" by TobyMac
- "Best Days" by Lincoln Brewster
- "Life" by Beckah Shae
- "Reaching for You" by Lincoln Brewster
- "Somebody to Love" by Queen
- "Single Ladies" by Beyonce
- "Good Things" by BoDeans
- "Raise Your Glass" by Pink
- "Disturbia" by Rihanna
- "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa
- "Hey Ya!" by OutKast
- "Alive Again" by Matt Maher
- "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins
- "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins
- "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne
- "We Shine" by Stellar Kart
- "Awake and Alive" by Skillet
- "Running Out of Time" by BarlowGirl
- "Never Alone" by BarlowGirl
- "Shackles" by Mary Mary