Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bucket List #1 - Complete a 5K

Okay, for those of you who know me, you know I am NOT athletic!  When my sister practiced basketball, all she would let me do is stand under the basket and catch the balls.  I was definitely a "music geek"- - and I'm proud.

But, as my 40th birthday creeps upon me, one thing that I have wanted to do for awhile is complete a 5K.  I did NOT say RUN the entire thing - - but that would be nice.

Well, I have decided to enter a 5K event (notice I did not say the "R" word - "race").  So, I am getting myself prepared to begin training.  The event I plan to enter is at the end of July.  That will give me about 3 months to prepare.  Also, it will occur 5 days after my birthday which seems to fit.

Preparing for Training:

Armband for my Ipod Touch - 
I have been searching and searching both in retail stores and online.  Finally, I made myself sit down and do a serious search.  I came across a forum that highly spoke about this little gem.


You can find this armband at www.armpocket.com.  I also found a Twitter post for a $5.00 discount if you purchased a Pink Armband (which is the color I wanted anyway) by entering DONNA11.  With the discount applied and shipping/handling (Priority Mail) my total was $30.40.  First class mail would have been quite a bit cheaper.


Couch to 5K App for Ipod Touch - 
Okay, I know nothing about training so I purchased an App for my Ipod Touch, C25K.  I purchased from itunes.com for $2.99.  


This program has you alternating between walking and running.  It takes 9 weeks to complete with 3 workouts 3 days per week.  You are able to listen to your own playlist and works with Nike+.


Couch to 5K Music Playlist from itunes.com -   
I will DEFINTELY need some upbeat music for this journey so I download the following songs for this adventure (thanks to suggestions on The Diaper Diaries blog):
  • "Dead Man" (Carry Me) by Jars of Clay
  • "I Am Free" by Newsboys
  • "Loser Like Me" by Glee Cast
  •  "Hold Me" by Jamie Grace
  •  "Get Back Up" by TobyMac
  •  "Tonight" by TobyMac
  •  "Best Days" by Lincoln Brewster
  •  "Life" by Beckah Shae
  •  "Reaching for You" by Lincoln Brewster
  •  "Somebody to Love" by Queen
  •  "Single Ladies" by Beyonce
  •  "Good Things" by BoDeans
  •  "Raise Your Glass" by Pink
  •  "Disturbia" by Rihanna
  •  "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa
  •  "Hey Ya!" by OutKast
  •  "Alive Again" by Matt Maher
  •  "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins
  •  "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins
  •  "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne
  •  "We Shine" by Stellar Kart
  •  "Awake and Alive" by Skillet
  •  "Running Out of Time" by BarlowGirl
  •  "Never Alone" by BarlowGirl
  •  "Shackles" by Mary Mary






1 comment:

  1. Awesome goal!! I love your prep, and have heard that the Couch to 5K program is terrific. You will do great!!

    ReplyDelete