Sunday, July 11, 2010

LeBron James Jersey Cake

This cake is for Levi.  He is a LeBron James fan. . .






I figured this cake was going to be relatively simple.  You should never think that.
I completely forgot about the colors being used and how the colorings give a bitter taste to the frosting.  It tasted horrible.  So, I tried a new technique using by mixing gel food coloring, clear liquid and used my Preval sprayer.  I liked the colors but the color would NOT dry.  (Thank you Indiana heat and humidity).  I had also made royal frosting numbers but when I picked them up they crumbled.  Well, I improvised and did the numbers by hand with buttercream frosting.

The cake I used 11x15 pan and hand carved the jersey shape.  Buttercream frosting.  "JAMES" was made using Royal Icing.

I did try 2 new things:
1)  PupCake Cake. . .(I'm sure you are wondering what that means.)
My niece, Poppi, always calls cupcakes, "Pupcakes".  I thought, why couldn't I use miniature cupcakes and make Pull Apart Cakes?  They would be small, perfect for one or two bites, plus no wrapper to deal with.  I had leftover batter so I made a pan of miniature cupcakes.  I figured a basketball would be the perfect object to experiment with.  I think it is cute.  I wonder how it will work when being served?

2)  A Calligraphy tip.  I have been struggling with my writing.  This past week I found a Calligraphy tip at Country Kitchen SA in Fort Wayne.  I have been SO excited to try it out!  I used it to write "Happy Birthday Levi".  I was able to write small and using my own handwriting.  Woo Hoo.  I need to get another tip or 2 just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment